Sunday, June 06, 2004

Fore!

Just got back from a round of golf at Jackson Park with Russell. It's a city course and not much of a challenge, but still not a bad way to spend 3.5 hours and $21 on a Sunday morning. Played so-so, my short game was awesome, but my drives were awful. I hit 3 tee shots out of bounds (and think I hit a car on one of them), but just getting out there to play felt good.

Russell and I spent most of the round talking about our mutual hero, Ronald Reagan. I studied him pretty extensively early on in college. I posted the closing of his farewell address in 1989 yesterday (see entry below), but thought today might be an appropriate day to post a link to his D-Day speech back in 1984. George F Will takes a moment off from rooting for the Cubs to write this.

Bobby Otter on my BTD list made an interesting point. Having the Germans attend today's D-Day ceremony is kinda like having the Packers attend an '85 Bears reunion, go figure.

In other exciting news, our new fridge was delivered yesterday. It's 32 5/8 inches wide, which looks like it's too wide for the 32 1/4 inch hole in the kitchen for it...we didn't bother to measure from the bottom of the cabinets...only from the top. Now it looks like we'll have a contractor in here this week to bump the wall out. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hung out here most of yesterday afternoon..watched the Belmont, talked to Dad about the great fridge debacle, drank a bunch of Goose Island Summertime Ale and then watched "Bend It Like Beckham." Cute movie, great soundtrack...and ohhh, those barely legal soccer girls. Kiera Knightley has replaced Scarlett Johannssen on my "hottest chick under 20" list.

It's 11:07, and I'm ready for a nap. That's the big downer to a 6:04 tee time.