Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Ilk's Consumer Product Review: Mountain Creek Lager

A few nights ago while perusing the aisles of my local Trader Joe's, I came across a nice big Mountain Creek display. I'd seen a bunch of kids knocking these back at the Sox opener a couple days prior, so I figured I'd give the stuff a try. At $2.99 a six-pack, you can't beat the price. I figured since TJ's got it right with 2-buck chuck (which is great to stock the wine rack with for parties or when alcoholic friends of yours housesit) that they probably had another winner on their hands with this stuff.

Wrong-o.

The can brags that it's "brewed in small batches." After tasting the stuff, I'm guessing the reason for this is that they can only get the panthers who secrete the piss that's used as the basis of this stuff to whizz a couple times a day. It's sour, and has a nasty bite from start to finish that reminds me a little bit of the moonshine the manager of the plumbing department at Menard's brought me while I was slaving there in the summer of 1994.

Pouring the beer from can to glass reveals a dark yellow color, with plenty of head. It smells pretty stale and musty.

Although it tastes nothing like Busch Light (which also tastes bad, just in a very different foam-mixed-with-puke kinda way), I'd put it in about the same place on the beer scale.

Ya get what ya pay for, I guess.