Monday, June 07, 2004

Monday, Monday...

Hot one in Chicago today...85 and breezy. Is summer finally here for good?

I was 12.5% right on my Sopranos predictions. Tony B got whacked, yes, but it was done by the almighty Tony Soprano himself and not Chrissy, as I originally anticipated.

I was 100% wrong about the Sox last night. I thought they would walk away from Seattle with 2 out of 3 games, but once again, Billy Koch blew it. So naturally, Sox fans are buzzing about who to have as our closer going forward...Marte, Politte, or Takatsu?

Here's how I see it--Marte showed flashes of brilliance last year as part of the closer-by-committee strategy that Jerry Manuel used. But this year, I at least have my doubts he's going to be that unhittable again. The numbers on him are mixed...4 blown saves this early in the year is ugly, but OTOH he hasn't allowed a hit in his past 7 appearances.

Politte started out the season hot and is the most overpowering of the 3, but his appearances have been limited lately (one since May 29), leading me to thnk that he may be in Ozzie's dog house.

Takatsu has the sexiest numbers of the 3, but sooner or later hitters are going to figure out how to hit the frisbee, and it's probably going to be disastrous (see also, Hung-Kim, Byung).

Is Mike Jackson a wild card dark horse option? He sure is crafty...in fact, reminds me a lot of Flash Gordon. He's not getting a lot of work in this far this year though.

I'm hitting the game Thursday with some of my fellow Sox Listers, including the illustrious Kevin Dever, who tracks all the rumors and innuendo on 35th Street here. For the first time this year, I will NOT be at Pepsi Half-Price Tuesday.

Today's the MLB draft, which is where you get to read desriptions like this about future stars (some of this stuff sounds more like it should come from craigslist than scouting reports):

LARGE FRAME. MATURE BODY, HEAVY REAR & LEGS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR
TO LANCE BERKMAN. WIDE, SEMI-SQUAT STANCE. BAT PINCHED INTO CHEST.
STRENGTH IN SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/ PWR POTENTIAL. ARM PLAYABLE, ACCURATE
THROWS. HANDS & DEFENSIVE ACTIONS SHOW PROPER TECHNIC. ALERT BASE
RUNNER. PHYSICALLY MATURE. STRENGTH IN SWING, BAT & PWR POTENTIAL.

I picked this guy's description since I have a heavy rear and legs too. : )

Made some tasty pepper steak last night, following this simple recipe. Tasted great over wild rice.

Friday is a market holiday in memory of the Gipper, but we still need to be here at work...our service bureau head says it'll be a "great day for testing." How are we supposed to test when there won't be any market data to test against? And they wonder why morale here is so low...