Monday, January 17, 2005

Why bother wearing a statement on your sleeve when you can wear it on your wrist?

It all started with Lance Armstrong's "Livestrong" bands. I'm the proud owner of one...as someone who has 2 cancer survivors and one cancer death in my family (plus a very dear friend who is a survivor) over the past 3 years it kinda makes sense. I rarely wear it though, because when I have it on I fidget with it endlessly

Now everyone's jumped on the craze. The White Sox were selling black "Sox Pride" bands at Soxfest this weekend, and they got snapped up like hotcakes. (I bought 5) They've even ended up on eBay. It also looks like the Team Up North has plans to sell bands of their own at their upcoming fan fiesta. Did you vote for Kerry? Sport a "Count Me Blue" band. As for me, I'm more likely to sport one of these.

So here's what I've decided. I'm going to list 3 of my extra Sox bracelets on eBay. Retail value is $2, plus I figure they'll cost 37 cents to ship. Assuming they fetch over $2 each, I'm going to keep half the proceeds for me, and donate the other half to White Sox Charities.

The greedy bastard that is Ilk gets to profit from getting in on the ground floor of this opportunity, and White Sox Charities get to profit from their (somewhat) clever idea.