Thursday, April 14, 2005

Wasted Away Again...

The Better Half never reads the paper during the week. Usually she'll only pick it up on Sundays, and proceed to read all the stuff out loud that she thinks is important. You know, vital stuff like airfares to Europe (yuck--small beds, bad breakfasts) and famous people who died within the past week. (Frank Perdue, we hardly knew thee)

But for some reason, she felt compelled to pick up the Metro section last night, and loudly announce in a most gleeful voice that tickets for Jimmy Buffett at Wrigley Field go on sale Monday. Longtime readers know that I don't like Buffett, and I don't like Wrigley Field. Buffett's talent is marginal at best, and while I like sitting on a beach slowly getting drunk off a froo-froo drink in a coconut shell as much as the next guy, I don't enjoy the music of a guy who has written 200 songs about it, and then decides to cover my favorite CS&N song because he's running out of material. I can only imagine what Wrigley Field is gonna look like when it's over taken by 45,000 meatheads and their lei-wearing girlfriends as they piss and puke all over the place. The bathroom lines are going to be ridiculous, the beer lines will be even worse, and good luck getting on a Red Line train. On top of that...tickets are like $130. There's no way in hell I'm paying that for what promises to be a kludge of an experience.

Oh yeah, on a side note--the Northsiders now come out to the strains of a song called "I Love My Cubs," which is performed by a certain Jimmy Buffett. This should be enough to make any self-respecting Sox fan walk away slowly.