Friday, June 10, 2005

Ilk Vs. Mom/Red Sox vs. Cubs

Talked to my Mom last night. Our conversations are usually short and to the point.

Ilk: How's the weather out there?
IlkMom: Rainy. How's the weather in Chicago?
Ilk: Hot and miserable. What's new?
IlkMom: Nothing, I hiked 15 miles and then ate a tub of hummus. And you?
Ilk: I went to the Sox game, drank 6 beers and then came home.
IlkMom: That's nice.

But last night, Mom told me that she's flying to Rochester for my cousin's high school gradutaion party in late July. Why my uncle would have a graduation party in July when the kid graduates in June is beyond me. Every graduation party I went to was typically held the same day as graduation.

Mom's flying through Chicago on the way back from The Roch. She has a 2 hour and 44 minute layover at O'Hare, and wants me to come visit her in the late afternoon. I told her that wasn't going to be easy to pull off because:

1) I work until 4:30 or so
2) There's nothing to do at ORD when you can't go through security
3) What if her flight's late? I'm not going to ride the Blue Line up and back 50 minutes each way only to not see her. O'hare is a big fascinating place full of big airplanes that fly and interesting people, but I spend enough time there waiting for my own damned delayed flights. We'll see her a couple weeks later when we head out west.

But here's what really chaps my ass. Since moving to Washington a couple years ago, Mom has NOT ONCE come to Chicago to visit me. She's flown to Rochester 5 or 6 times (granted, a couple of those times was when her mother was dying) and gone to Utah for my sister's conversion to Mormonism, but not once has she come back to the city she lived in for 10 years to visit her oldest kid or her friends. Flights here are cheap and plentiful, and I've invited her repeatedly to visit. So she'll only visit on her (inconvenient) terms for an hour or so. Grrrrrr.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox swing into town this weekend for 3 games at The Urinal Up North. Last fall, a lot of Cubs "fans" jumped onto the Red Sox bandwagon since they can relate to Carmines fans due to the prolonged period of suckage both teams have experienced. Every Lincoln Park Trixie and Chad was sporting a faded and pre-brimmed "B" hat. My guess is most of these folks are so oblivious, they don't even realize that it's time to switch back to their Cubs hats.