Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Randomized

People keep asking me if it's worn off yet. The honest answer is that it hasn't. I can still hear Joe Buck (sanctimonious little twit that he is) saying "88 years in as the second team in the second city are no more. The Chicago White Sox are world champions." Thursday's Trib is already in a frame on the wall of my office here at home. The locker room hat, ugly as it is, is sitting on my bookshelf with the tags still on it. I still just break out into a spontaneous shit-eating grin every now and then.

Bush nominated a new Supreme Court justice, and this is gonna be a bloodbath. I'm not buying into the whole Harriet Miers was a decoy tinfoil-hat conspiracy. At the same time, I think the last thing Bush needs right now is a polarizing high court nominee. The country's divided, and more and more people are flocking to the anti-Bush side than ever. Justifiably so, I suppose--what with the crummy Katrina response and the lack of followthrough on Social Security reform and the clusterfuck in Iraq.

Next to "Don't Stop Believin," the classic rock song that's been getting the most airplay on my iPod is "Do Ya" by ELO. Damned Monster.com commericals.

The Bears are playing some credible football right now. I'm seeing some shades of 2001 with their impressive defense coming up with the big play time and time again. For the first time all season Sunday (with the exception of the 2 games I've attended), I actually wasted space on my couch and watched two entire football games.

Prince Charles and Princess (Consort) Camilla are touring the US right now. I keep making all kinds of "Squiggy" jokes, only to have The Better Half (somewhat of a royals expert, don't ask) remind me that Squiggy was Di, and Camilla and Chuck used "Fred and George" as their adulterous code names.

Come next week, the fate of my company will have been decided. Not by management, or shareholders, but rather by a bankruptcy court. Delightful!

The first week after Daylight Savings Time ends is always the toughest for me. I start getting heavy lids at about 6 PM. Not good.