Thursday, November 10, 2005

Scenes From An Urban Existence

Left work at 4 today and I was just about the last person outta there. There just ain't much to do or see right now as we sit waiting to hear our fate.

Ran home, let the cleaning lady in. Decided that it would be really weird to be home while the cleaning lady was there so I trotted over to the Starbucks across the street. Plopped my ass on one of the big overstuffed chairs and I'm poring over the FT in between peeks at my email.

There's a couple sitting at one of the tables near me. Both probably a couple years older than me, sporting the uniforms of the young and restless in Chicago--he's got the requiste pinstriped Brooks Brothers shirt, she's got the tight sweater and the big rock.

I've figured out they're married, but not to each other. She's laughing way too loud at his jokes and keeps looking around stealing glances to make sure no one recognizes them. He seems wayyyyyy too interested in what she has to say to be married to her, keeps raising his eyebrows and whatnot.

Ahhhh..the things you see on a cold Thursday afternoon.