Friday, December 30, 2005

The Obligatory Year End Musings Post (Read At Own Risk)

So here we are. Penultimate day of 2005. I always try to say something on the day before the last day of the year just so I can say "penultimate."

It's been a hell of a year.

The White Sox defied the odds, the media and their competition and won the freakin World Series. I've drank plenty of champagne in my life, much of it pretty high quality, but it never tasted as sweet as the cheap stuff I guzzled at the bar that cold and rainy October night.

The Illini put the state and the nation on notice with their run to the NCAA Finals, playing in what might be the greatest college basketball game I ever saw.

The Bears didn't score much, but their opponents scored even less.

February found us skiing in Lake Tahoe. September found us tippling through wine country. Both memorable trips.

Made a ton of new friends at the ballpark. Reunited with a bunch of old friends around the poker table. They still take my money.

4 sets of friends got pregnant. Two of them had their kids (congrats Rob and Renee/Mike and Angie), the other two are still baking in the oven.

One set of friends got married. Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Zooks.

I lost one grandparent. Ciao Nanny.

I lost one friend to the suburbs. It happens.

The Catholic Church lost its leader. I've been to church about 5 times in the last 10 years, but was still upset when JP II passed away.

The crazy neighbors next door moved out. The quiet neighbor moved in. Sorry we were stomping our feet on the floor during game 3 of the World Series, Katie. It happens.

My sister decided she wanted to be a Mormon.

I turned 30. Milestone schmilestone.

I started a new job. Hated it initially and then it really grew on me. Just after I really started liking it, company went belly-up. Found another job at a place I always wanted to work and like it a lot so far. Here's hoping it lasts.

I bobbed my head and sang along to "Touch The Sky," "Mr. Brightside," "DOA" and "Holiday." Oh yeah, and "Don't Stop Believin."

I laughed pretty hard at "Sideways." And "Syriana" really made me think.

Venezuelan I'd like to see more of: Ozzie Guillen. Makes baseball fun for the fans and his players.
Venezuelan I'd like to see less of: Hugo Chavez. He's just Castro without the cigar and fatigues.

Happy New Year, everyone.