Monday, December 19, 2005


Highly Recommended

Unless you're in North Carolina, good barbecue in the Eastern Time Zone is pretty hard to find. As a kid, I always took barbecue to mean that reddish colored stuff that comes in a Kraft bottle that Mom would dump over chicken or pork chops while they were on the grill.

Then I moved to the Midwest and started hanging out with 'cue snobs on a regular basis. I learned the difference between a wet rub and dry rub, and that the term "spare ribs" has nothing to do with God creating Eve. Sunday after Sunday I'd hang out, watch football, and gorge myself on various smoked creations.

As I mentioned last week, Blue Smoke at 29th and Park in NYC was highly recommended, but it was also a zoo when I tried to get a table for one there last Wednesday at 9 PM. So tonight I hustled over there as soon as I left the office at around 5:45 and popped a squat right at the bar. Fifteen minutes later, I was sinking my teeth into what might be the best pulled pork I've ever had, served over a soggy slice of Wonder Bread with a big side of pit beans. Damned tasty, and thus earning an I-rating of "highly recommended."

I'm here until Thursday. Wonder if they serve breakfast.