Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Hump Day...

Wednesday in Chicago, and just like almost every other day, thunderstorms are a lurkin. I swear, I can't remember the last time we had 3 rain-free days in a row. Rob took 2 of the guys from the group out sailing this afternoon, let's hope they don't get caught in this crap. Kinda wish I got the chance to go today, ned to work on the spinnaker jibes before racing really gets going in the next couple weeks.

Looks like the worst day in American history could have been even worse.

Another huge night for the Sox, and for the Panamanian Clipper, who waited all the way to the 10th inning to extend his streak and break the team record (he didn't break it Sunday, as I thought). He's really really starting to press and is swinging at just about everything hoping to punch it for a hit...but he's gotta realize he's not Juan Uribe and will never master the art of the ducksnort.

I like the fact you can never EVER count this team out late in a close game. Their clutch hitting this year has been unparalled. Last year, Frank Thomas was the master of popping up with the game on the line and ducks on the pond. This time around, it seems like he's constantly making contact.

Meanwhile, the ringmaster of the Northside circus finished his rehab up in typical Sneezin' Sammy fashion and will be back at Giggly on Friday. I've got tickets for the Saturday game, and what a surprise...forecast calls for rain!

Out for my walk/run this morning and I came back up Van Buren past the backside of the Board Of Trade. Normally I pay little heed to my old stomping grounds, but for some reason today I did...I tried to keep track of all the places that have changed since I left the floor in '99.

So, going from Clark Street west to Wells, here's what's still there, and what's not:

American Submarine: still there. Still skanky looking.

Sky Ride Tap: Still there. Still looks like a great place for screwdrivers and Heinies at 8 am to steady the hands.
Boni Vino: Still there, red tablecloths and all. I wonder if you can still drink there at 19 without getting carded.

Liberty Coffee and Tea: Still there. The place where I discovered on about 20 occasions that iced mochas and hangovers don't mix. The barista who used to call me "Ernie Banks" (knowing my contempt for the Northsiders) is gone it looks like.

McDonald's: Gone. Replaced by a Dunkin' Donuts and an Americash "Loan Canter."

KFC: Gone. They've managed to jam a joint called Trader's Dogs, a Radio Shack and a Tokyo Box sushi place into that little space.
Alcock's: Still there. Wonder if you can still get blow in the bathroom/get blown in the bathroom at the same time.

Cactus: Still there. Still put sharks in their maragritas. I need to get my ass over there one of these days.

Cal's: Still there. This is where I used to go to get a couple 6 packs of Bud before the Friday afternoon JFJ Traders pitch games. The attached barhas turned into a scruffy bike messenger hangout and now features live bands.

Burrito Buggy: Still there. Vastly overrated, Taco Fresco is far superior.

Sam and Joe's: Gone. Used to be my favorite place to go sit on Friday afternoons due to the $2 Coors Light bottles. Now a swanky place called the Crocodile Lounge.

That's about all I remember off the top of my head. Further details tomorrow if I notice anything more.