Friday, November 12, 2004

So it's Friday, and for the second weekend in a row, we have absolutely nothing planned this weekend. KInda nice ahead of the impending holiday madness. I may hit the Prarie Path with Russell Sunday morning, but only if the winds are low and it's above 50 degrees. Doesn't look likely.

So K and I were ultra bored last night, and decided to go bowling. Yes, that's right, bowling. Kinda like the horse track, I get the urge to go about once a year. There's this swanky new "bowling lounge" that just opened up in Marina City (for those of you not from Chicago, those are the corncob towers you see in every movie filmed here and on the cover of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but damn it, this is Chicago. If I go bowling I want bottles of High Life and a wide selection of AMF loaner balls straight out of the 1970s. So I wrote down the addresses of 3 places on the South Side, and off we went.

First place? Vacant lot.

Second place? Shuttered.

Third place? Shuttered. (Notre: This was Marzano's Miami Bowl, which apparently was Chicago's bowling mecca for 40 years, until it, um, uhh...closed last month).

Moral of the story: call ahead. We ended up going over to Bobak's Sazzige Emporium for their smorgasbord. I can't remember the last time I ate dinner somewhere where the bill was $24.96.

Here's this week's Sucks Of The Weak:

Green Bay -4 Minnesota
Jacksonville -3 Detroit