Monday, November 08, 2004

Little Bit of Luck, Lots Of Mold....

Went to the Chicago Cares Big Shindig on Friday up at Cafe Brauer. Always a good time, and I enjoy it immensely because it's not a bunch of snotballs like most of the other benefits in Chicago (not that I'm a socialite by any stretch, but I typically go to 3 or 4 a year), but real normal people, quite a few of whom I've volunteered with. By the way, word of advice to any single people who may read this--the absolute best way to meet a member of the opposite sex is through volunteering. Trust me...oh yeah, and it's kinda nice to help people while you're chasing tail.

Anyway, they had a gift bag raffle--20 bucks got you a mystery bag with some sort of prize in it. I've never had much luck with it in the past...one year I won tickets to a play up in Skokie that I had no interest in, and another time I won a trial membership to a health club that I already belonged to.

So this year, K did the dirty work and bought the bag. And wouldn't you know it--we won 2 round trip tickets on Northwest. Sure, it's the worst excuse for an airline in the country, but still...free travel is free travel. I think we're going to hook up with Rob and Renee out in Reno/Tahoe sometime over the winter for skiing. I've never been, so I'm kinda psyched.

Saturday dawned gorgeous and suny, and when I finally rolled my fat ass out of bed at 10:30, I knew I had to do something outdoors. Ended up playing tennis with Aaron up at the courts at Waveland and the lakefront. These courts are tough for me to play on for the following reasons:

1. They're right off Lake Shore Drive, so you have the neverending noise of trafic in the background.
2. They're right next to the lakefront path, which means that there's an inordinately large amount of hotties running, blading or biking past. It's really bad when Aaron stops his serve so he can say a lecherous "hellllloooo" hoping that only I can hear it.
3. They're on the lake, so it's windy as shit.

Played fairly well, but I messed up my shoulder somehow trying to get cutesy with a one handed backhand. It's pretty sore...and just when I think it's going to go away, it acts up.

Meanwhile, K developed a strange new fixation over the weekend. She says that our master bathroom smells like mold. Now I have no idea what mold smells like, and I can't smell it. The only smells which I recognize right away are grilled polish sausage, fresh cut grass, and bleach.

But she saw it fit to whip out the painter's tool and gut the caulk off the one side of the bathtub, thinking that a recaulking would get rid of the smell. But apprently, it needs to be regrouted too...so last night at 10 pm we ran to the friendly neighborhood Home Depot and picked up some caulk and grout. I was initially very fearful of grout, since I remember from having our house built in NY that it comes in 50 lb bags that kick up dust everywhere and need to be mixed with water, but mercifully it now comes in ready mixed little tubs, which can even be applied with an ordinary kitchen spatula. So that's this evening's project.

How about them Bears? And them Bills?