Friday, February 11, 2005

Who's Your Daddy? (Clap clap clap clap clap)

I've know my buddy the Killer Bee since 1996. We used to go out and drink ourselves stupid 3 or 4 days a week when we were in our mid-20s, always on the prowl for dollar bottles , dime wings and loose women.

Over all these years, Killer Bee (his nickname comes from his acronym on the floor of the CBOT, which was BEE) has consistently beat me in everything we've ever competed against each other.

Fantasy football? Kicked my ass season after season.

Madden football on the ol'Sega Genesis? I beat him one, he beat me like 85 straight times after that.

H-O-R-S-E? Schooled me every time. Keep in mind I'm 6'2" and he's 5'7" if he's lucky.

So at his poker game last night, after we were both eliminated from the main event, Bee started a side game with 3 other guys, including yours truly. The first 2 guys went out in short order, leaving me and Bee to duke it out heads-up, mano y mano, face to face.

So we did. I'd get a 10-J in the pocket, and then flop a 7-8-9. I'd have a pair of 4s, and catch another one on the river. 2 and 6 of spades? No problem, I'll have a flush by fifth street. After a while, my ass really started to hurt from having the horseshoe jammed so far up it. I actually folded a suited A-5 at one point because "it just didn't feel right." But I kept winning.

In the end, I took him with a set of jacks, and made a whopping $60. I've probably lost 5 times that betting with him over the years..but this was easily one of the sweetest victories of my life.