Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Hello Clarice.

Jeff Van Gundy is my favorite NBA coach ever. A Rochester native, he got his start coaching at my dad's high school and went on to skipper the Knicks before heading to Houston.

The Trib ran an interview with him today, here's a funny tidbit:

We did have a bet about Jodie Foster in my freshman class (4) about who could get the first date. We all threw $100 in. One of the other guys asked her to a hockey game and she went. I had my chances earlier. I was walking back from the gym. There's this big freshman quadrangle. You go through this big gate. There's a candy store and popcorn. I stopped as I'm going by, and a voice behind me says, `Boy that popcorn smells good.' I turned around to say, `Yeah, it sure does,' and it was her. And I froze. And I ran away. Twelve-hundred bucks I could've used. That was a choke.

Here's some ink from Detroit on the Maggs signing.

I'm trying to figure out which ballclub made the biggest belly-flop splash this offseason. Here's the finalists:

Mets: Grabbed Pedro Martinez. Can't wait for the inevitable "Who's Your Daddy" chants during the Subway Series. If this guy couldn't handle the spotlight in Beantown, how's he supposed to hang in Nueva York? Also signed Kris Benson and his fat 4.30 lifetime ERA to a fat deal, and signed Carlos Beltran to a monster contract based on a monster quarter season.

Orioles: Let's see, last year they signed Sidney Ponson, who promptly spent most of the season throwing batting practice to the Yankees. Yeah, Sir Sidney is one of my favorite people, but that doesn't mean he can pitch. How do they top that this year? By trading for Sammy Sosa!

Tigers: I think the last good outing I saw Troy Percival throw was Game 7 of the 2002 World Series. Magglio might get 12 million bucks and not even play a game.