Monday, April 18, 2005

Slices! Dices! Juliennes!

Got my Golfsmith Big Red Book over the weekend. It's 200+ nice glossy pages (very nicely presented, it probably cost them a fortune) chock full of everything a golfer could want. I flipped through it last night while watching the Braves-Phils snoozefest on Sunday Night Baseball just out of sheer boredom.

Most of it is the usual stuff golfers need. Clubs? Already got a nice set...thanks Dad. Balls? Nahh, I buy them by the gross at Costco. Shirts? Forget it. When your girlfriend works for a bank that sponsors just about everything in sight, there's never a shortage of golf shirts to be had.

But then you come across the interesting stuff...training aids. They've got about 20 pages of stuff that's guar-UN-teed to improve your game. Some of the swag closely resembles medieval torture devices. There's straps to keep your elbow from flying, braces to keep your knee from bending, clubs that bend if you snap your wrists too soon, and even a driver that's safe for swinging indoors, although I'm sure my mom would have something to say about that.

I'm guessing all this shit doesn't work at all...but I'd love to be proven wrong.