Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Dorkiness Is Strong In This One

To commemorate the opening of the final Star Wars movie last night, here's some random Star Wars-related facts about me and my lifelong love affair with George Lucas' flicks:

-The first time I saw Star Wars was at the old Empire Drive-In in Webster. I was about 2, and fell asleep for most of it, but remember Vader and Obi-Wan duking it out with lightsabers on the big screen.

-I saw it again a few years later on TV, and started bawling at the end. The ending to Episode IV is by no means sad, but I was just upset that such a cool movie could possibly end.

-I still get grossed out when the little red monster pops up in the trash compactor. Up until about 5 years ago, I'd avert my eyes every time it happened just out of habit.

-In 1983 when Return Of The Jedi came out, I was Darth Vader for Halloween. I had a dorky plastic mask, a rubber cape and wore my silver moon boots--but damnit, I had an authentic lightsaber that whistled when you whipped it through the air, which broke the following summer when I used it as a baseball bat.

-I have no clue what happened to all my Star Wars toys, but shit, I had just about everything. I had an XWing, a Battle-Damaged TIE fighter, Snowspeeder, Dagobah Playset, Endor Playset, Millenium Falcon, and even the freaky 2-pod red ships they patrolled the Cloud City with. (I remember buying the latter for 5 bucks at a garage sale and thinking I was king of the world because NOBODY else had it. Most of my friends didn't even know what it was though.) I had tons of action figures too.

-The best place to buy Star Wars toys was the Western Auto on Main Street in Williamson, NY. Better than Ames, better than Toys R'Us. My sister and I used to beg Mom to take us to my Aunt Linda's house since she lived right near there. We'd promptly sneak over to the store and waste our allowances on Star Wars swag.