Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I'm A Pepper, You're A Pepper

Every year, I always try and come up with some grandiose summer project to keep me amused in between work and chores and watching the White Sox fritter away the division. Past projects have included learning how to play bridge (played exactly twice), crewing on Rob's boat (which I still do, but only about 4 times a year) and training for marathons (which usually gets ixnayed by about July when my knees turn into mush).

So this summer's pursuit? I'm going to grow hot peppers on the deck.

For the low-low outlay of 23 bucks, I walked away from Home Depot last night with 2 banana pepper plants, 2 habanero plants, 2 "garden salsa" plants, a cayenne plant and a jalapeno plant...plus a big sack of potting soil and 2 large pots. Assuming the weather stays nice tonight, I'll go out on the deck, swill a couple Old Styles and put the pepper plants into the pepper pots.

Assuming I do it right, come fall I'll have all kinds of peppers to dry and then bottle into Tippling Ilk's hot sauce.

But knowing me, come September I'll just have 2 big pots full of dirt with a couple little green plants sticking up.