Friday, July 01, 2005

Poker Travails

Odd Thursday night at the Killer Bee's last night.

For starters, Killer Bee had spent the afternoon at the Cubs game, and was pretty wasted as a result. I knew as soon as I walked into his house and his normally nasal Wisconsin whine was about 3 octaves and 40 decibels higher than normal that he'd hit the sauce hard for the better part of the afternoon.

The Kell made the mistake of wearing a plaid shirt, and was subjected to "Farmer Kell" comments from the Bee all night. It would have been alright if they were sitting next to each other, but they were across the table from one another, so he had no choice but to scream across the table.

The Nis was out of cigarettes, and extra fidgety as a result.

Joe Pa didn't finish first or second, which is a rarity. He spent most of the night yelling at me to deal quicker. Somewhat intimidated by Joe's comments, I knocked a beer over and dumped it all over the table/floor/cards. Big mess. I wasn't even anything resembling drunk.

Worst of all, I got knocked out by the Live Wire. The Live Wire is a developer from Russell's old firm who is a sinewy bundle of energy with a brain like a mainframe. He can look at any hand and tell you what the pre-flop odds were. He never bluffs, he never gambles, he just plays poker. Somehow, in the heated excitement of having top two pair, I forgot this, and into the buzzsaw I went. He had a flush. Dumb, dumb, dumb.