Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Champagne Supersnoozer

My musical taste is generally pretty pedestrian, and can be lumped into three categories:

1) "Classic" Arena Rock. You know, stuff everyone else likes: Springsteen, The Stones, U2.
2) Geezer Alternative. Bands that have been around for a while and I've pretty much grown up with: Pearl Jam, Weezer, Radiohead, Coldplay.
3) Flavors Of The Month. Stuff that my much cooler friends tell me about that I'll listen to for a few months and then forget about: The Darkness, The Futureheads, Kaiser Chiefs.

One of my favorite bands of the mid-90s fits into the middle category: Oasis. As a drug-addled, drunken early twenty-something, their drug-addled drunken ripoffs of Beatles tunes and decadent songs about being a rock and roll star and living forever had a certain appeal to them. I loved the fact that Liam Gallagher was one of the most petulant mofos alive with his barfights, his storming offstage and his claims that he was John Lennon reincarnated.

So Oasis came to town last night and played the UIC Pavilion. And Killer Bee and I were there. Well, we were in the last row, which put us closer to Rush-Presbyterian than the stage...but we were still able to hear Liam's muttering and mumbling and see him as he walked back to the drum riser to take another swig from his vodka bottle.

The set was uneven, and leaned way too much on their newer material. The crowd (including myself) was definitely there to see "Wonderwall," "Don't Look Back In Anger," and "Live Forever." We got all of that--pretty late in the set. By then, the masses were mostly bored. Even me.