Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Flickr Fun

Those of you who actually click on the picture links that I occasionaly post know that I'm a huge fan of Flickr. Where else can you plunk down 25 bucks a year and upload as many blurry and underexposed pictures as you want?

Anywhooo, Flickr has an API. I'd previously only heard that term in connection with my job as a trading software geek, but I guess that Application Programming Interfaces ain't just for connections to exchanges. Some enterprising folks in Austria (did you know Germans feel about Austrians the same way Illinoisians feel about cheeseheads?) have developed an API interface into Flickr called Retrievr. Just plop a rough sketch of something, anything into the little box on the left and then click the search button...and be mildly awed by the results.