Monday, March 29, 2004

Quiet Monday after a fun, sun-filled weekend.

Spent most of Saturday up at Slugger's hitting baseballs, watching hoops and knocking back $2.50 Old Styles. Slugger's is right smack-dab in the middle of Wrigleyville, so it was really odd to see Sox legend Minnie Minoso hanging out there drinking. 82 years old and still spry as ever...very gracious fella. I've run into him out and about on a few other occasions and he always has time for a quick hello.

As for the NCAAs, looks like the Duke empire is gonna steamroll to yet another title. For the longest time, I had nothing but the highest respect for Coach K (don't even ask me to spell his name) and his program, but after freading more and more about it, it seems like he's an egomanical power freak. My buddy Tom and I were talking Saturday at the bar about how Duke grads never seem to go far in the NBA...he (a former college player himself) thinks it's because Coach K is so focused on making his team win that he doesn't work with players on their individual skills at all. Food for thought.

Kris and I took the pooch and my buddy Aaron over to the park yesterday for some fungoes and catch. Great time...and then the rain came. Whipped up some pasta e fagoli and panzanella last night which both came out tasty.