Friday, May 07, 2004

Dark Side of 20...

So here I am, 28 years and 364 days old. Funny, I was listening to my iPod on the way to work this morning (it's like 55 here today...WHERE IS SUMMER???) and that Joe Walsh song "Life's Been Good" came on. I don't own the CD, so I have no idea how it ended up on there...must be from a compliation or something. And on top of that, it actually found its way into one of the 1000 playlists I have created and never listened to. Well, make it 999 now.

I bitch a lot, and freely admit it. The past 6 weeks at work have been the absolute rockiest I can remember at any job I have ever had. It's just been non-stop stress. When I was trading, I had plenty of miserable days, but there would be a few good ones here and there to lighten things up. I'm just not seeing that with what I'm doing now and it's kinda got me down. But aside from that (and the fact I drive one of these instead of one of these), there really ain't a hell of a lot I can complain about. My job pays the bills just fine. I'm not one of the 27 million Americans without health insurance. I live in a sweet loft on the western edge of downtown in the absolute hands down greatest city in the world with a wonderful girlfriend. I have a great group of friends who encourage me, challenge me, and knock back beers with me both here and all over the country. I went to 2 excellent schools and somehow managed to graduate in spite of chugging beers by the gallon 5-6 nights a week. Although divorced, my parents are both happy and living the lives that they've wanted to. Granted, I couldn't imagine either of theirs being my own, but oh well. I have 3 of my 4 grandparents still, and have never been to a funeral until last summer. I always say what a dreadful listener I am, but I'm told that I do it a lot better than most.

I have a certain sense of pride in being from Upstate New York. Sure beats a cornfield. I have a certain sense of pride in that I always seem to be pretty well-dressed, have all my hair, and look good in baseball hats. I have too much pride to keep babbling like this.

I'm gladder and gladder every day that the Sox didn't sign Sidney Ponson. I was so high on his bandwagon in the offseason. Not even his miserable final 3rd of the season in San Fran or his 8+ ERA in spring training could temper my enthusiasm for wanting to see him on the South Side. Whenever people brought up signing Freddy Garcia, I would just shake my head. I've heard from a client of mine in Seattle that he parties like a rockstar and is a real headcase...and the Sox have one of those already with Danny Wrong (who incidentally got torched in his first minor league start the other day). But looking at the numbers thus far this year, I was wrong as usual:

Picks left Player TEAM W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
1. F Garcia SEA 1 1 2.11 6 6 0 0 0 0 42.2 38 10 10 2 0 10 33
2. S Ponson BAL 2 2 6.25 7 7 1 0 0 0 40.1 49 31 28 1 3 17 18