Thursday, August 12, 2004

OK, so today's post is going to be a little depressing.

Got a call from my mom yesterday afternoon...she was heading from Seattle back to Rochester to see my grandmother, who has brain cancer. She just found out yesterday when some test results came back after she was hospitalized after a fall last weekend. My sister called last night with more detail...looks like she has a tumor at the base of her brain and only has a few weeks to live.

So I'm in a huge quandary and have no idea what to do. My grandmother has made a habit of meddling in everyone's affairs, trying to drive a wedge between me and my father after my parents' divorce in 1996, using all kinds of passive-aggressive tactics to try and get her way in re: family issues...and in one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen, she told my cousins when they were little before a custody hearing to tell the judge that my uncle abused them so that my aunt would get custody.

She alternates that behavor with random acts of kindness. She's not a bad person, I think she just has no understanding of right and wrong when the agenda she wants is at stake.

Sarah is already on her way to Rochester. I really don't want to go. I don't handle dying people well, and I'd probably prefer to just wait until the funeral to pay my respects. I need to tell my mother this, but the problem is when I do she is going to lay the mother of all guilt trips on me, and I don't want to deal with it. So in a sense, I guess this makes me a pretty big chickenshit.

Meanwhile, I also need to get a hold of my Dad. Looks like a bad moon risin' in Florida and I hope they're hunkered down.

In equally dpressing news, went to the Sox game last night. Felt like September--only 18,000 people there, 55 degree temps, and they were playing like they're way out of it.