Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Crappy one at work today, stemmed over from last night.

We had one of our new trading system migrations last night. It initially failed miserably. I had no desire at all to stick around last night to try to figure out what the hell happened, so I walked out at about 7:50, assuming that they'd just go ahead and backgrade. I've wasted way too many summer nights staying late at this place, and I wasn't in the mood for another one. There's a contingent of guys here who I like to refer to as the Townsend Martyrs. They'll come in at 6 am and stay until 10 pm if they have to in order to make things right. They'll work weekends. they won't take lunches. I am not one of those people--this isn't a law firm or an investment bank, I'm not being paid like a lawyer or an investment banker, so I, quite frankly, am not going to put in that kind of effort.

Well, I was paired with one of these martyrs last night. The poor guy knows the systems here inside and out, has been here for 5 years, does a ton of advanced testing. He ended up proofing things through to the finish and got it up and working by about 8:20 or so. By then I was home on my second glass of wine.

So today I walked in thinking I'd be fired, which honestly would be the best thing to ever happen to me. But no, I just got the silent treatment from my boss, after he INSISTED in an email he sent me before I came in that we talk. So who the hell really knows.

I shouldn't say getting fired would be the best thing ever...but I have such a love/hate with this place that it's not even funny.

Contreras on the bump tonight in his White Sox debut against a weak Kansas City team. We don't do well against weak teams. Client of mine who is a huge Yankees fan told me that when Contreras gets men on base, he's slower than an elderly man with constipation. I've only seen him once in 2 innings of spring training action and he didn't allow a single hit, so I have yet top experience that.

I was thinking earlier today about the psychology fans adopt when their team is a certain number of games back. For me, there's a big big difference between 3 and 4. Three games out makes you feel like you've got a real shot...but 4 or above(Sox are 5 out now) has me reaching for the hemlock.

Oh, and it's kinda funny that Ta-RAY-sa has resorted to juvenile name calling:

TERESA HEINZ KERRY: 'That Drudge, he's such a smudge.' First Lady hopeful turned her attention to Internet news in a recent interview with reporters.

Oh yeah? Well Mrs. Kerry is scary!