Monday, December 20, 2004

A Tale Of Two Parties...

Hit the holiday party circuit Saturday night. Well, I went to 2 parties in the same night, which I guess is the circuit for schmoes like me.

The first party was hosted by our friends Greg and Ron, who I used to do a lot of work with through Chicago Cares. Greg and Ron are that most unique of creatures... they're a gay Republican couple. Their condo up north was decorated to the nines, complete with 14' tree. The bar was fully stocked, and champagne from gold-rimmed flutes was the drink of choice. Ron is a caterer, and threw together a better spread for this home party than most company parties I've been to...he even had a couple of the waitresses that work for him circulating the house with appetizers.

At about 10:30, we headed through the white and drifting snow down to the Sout'Side for Jimbo's annual holiday bash. Jimbo's is our bar of choice before and after Sox games...it's your classic Chicago corner tavern...small, dimly lit, covered with pictures of the owner and various local celebrities, video poker machines in the corner, you get the idea. The place was jammed with mostly Bridgeport locals in their union coats knockin back Miller Lites and guzzling shots of Jaeger. One nice touch Jimbo adds for the holidays is that he serves bottled beer during the winter, instead of cans like he does during the season. Ahhhh...it's the little things that make a difference. Our Christmas present from Jimbo? A bottle of Asti Spumanti!

On a side note, some local yokel came up to me at the bar and said he'd heard that the Sox had just traded Marte, Garland and Konerko for Randy Johnson. Thankfully, it was just the booze talkin.

As most of you have noticed, I love to toot my own horn. Below is what I think might be the best joke I've made all year:

aaron: lol they playin li'l jon on fresh air
ilk: lil jon?
aaron: yayaah
ilk: who dat?
aaron: oh my god
aaron: /me smacks ilk
ilk: is he like lil bow wow?
aaron: the guy who produced usher's "yeah"
ilk: or KRIS KROSS?
aaron: and who chappelle mocked on his show
ilk: ahhhhhhh
ilk: i often confuse "yeah" with "freek a leek"
aaron: the very synthy, handclappy beats
ilk: which apparently is a song about having sex with a green onion
aaron: haha