Friday, February 04, 2005

Wow.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today. 50+ and the sun is glinting off the windows of our fair city. The mammoth snowdrifts have been reduced to little grey piles of ice chunks, and the sidewalks are nice and treacherous with thin layers of ice in the shadows, which are just perfect for me to slip on. (Did it twice this morning)

Don't get me wrong. I love winter. I love snow. But damnit, I am ready for spring. Spring Training is still 2 weeks away and the boat is hibernating under her car cover at a barn up in Wisconsin, but it's nice to hope, non?

Oh yeah, the Super Bowl is Sunday. I'm guessing the Patriots win it, but my heart says pull for the Eagles.

Just remember, Pats fans, all dynasties come to an end. The Roman Empire ended with an inbred emperor jamming on his fiddle while Rome was sacked. The Edmonton Oilers won a bunch of Stanley Cups in the 1980s, and now most folks couldn't even find Edmonton on a map, much less name the hockey team that plays there. The Toronto Blue Jays were an unstoppable force in baseball in the late 80s and early 90s, and now they draw 10,000 people a game to watch them battle the Rays for last place in the East.

Beware the Ides Of February, Pats fans.