Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Nitpicking?

I've always liked Tom Petty. In high school, "Free Fallin" was the first song I learned how to hack out the chords to on my geetar (C F CFC over and over and over)...and if I had a buck for every doobie I burned back in the day while listening to "Mary Jane's Last Dance" I'd probably have more than enough money to buy one of them fancy ass Rickenbackers that he always plays.

(Yes, I know his music goes way way back before the songs I mentioned...in fact I think that "Pack Up The Plantation" might be one of the best live recordings ever)

Anywhoo, in 2002 Petty released an album called "The Last DJ," which was a scathing rip of what the radio industry has become. The title track features Petty crooning:

As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free

There goes the last DJ
Who plays what he wants to play
And says what he wants to say, hey hey hey

And there goes your freedom of choice
There goes the last human voice
And there goes the last DJ
Obviously, you won't catch Tom at any Clear Channel-sponsored parties anytime soon.

The other day I hopped in the rice burner and fired up my XM Satellite Radio, which I think might be the best invention ever. Baseball, rap songs with swear words, Steely Dan (no static at all) all on one happy little unit. I was kinda surprised when I heard a promo spot featuring Mr. Petty's Dylan-like mumble talking about a show he's hosting called "Tom Petty's Buried Treasure." Billed as "a show that's like me playin' records for you if you were just hangin' out at my house," it actually sounds pretty interesting.

But is there something fishy about Petty hosting a show on a medium which you used to get for free?

So has Petty sold out to The Boys Upstairs?