Friday, March 04, 2005

Travesty Of The Day

Went to The Berghoff for lunch today. It's easily my favorite place to go for lunch in the Loop. It's truly an old school German joint--in fact, they are the proud owners of Chicago Liquor Control Board License #1, and the murals in the bar (which women were not allowed in until the 1970s) show scenes of people getting their tipple on after the repeal of Prohibition.

Anyway, as I was slathering my rye bread with mustard (yeah, I know) I noticed a placard on the table advertising their martini specials. Apparently, for 8 bucks you can now get a "Chocolatini" or a pink-colored "Cupid's Arrow" served to you. Yuck. You know that society is taking a turn for the worse when an institution like the 'hoff reduces themselves to serving froo-froo drinks.

Next thing you know, they'll have bruschetta on the appetizers menu.

Ilk's take: It's not a martini unless it's clear.