Friday, June 17, 2005

The '27 Yankees We Most Certainly Are Not

Ugly night on the softball field last night. For the first time in all my years (well, all 4 of them) of organized softball, the slaughter rule was invoked as we lost 18-3.

I indulged in my usual pre-game ritual of eating a bucket of fried chicken, listening to "Thunderstruck" over and over, killing a rooster and smearing the entrails on my glove (wonder what Brendan Donnelly would think of that), rubbing eye black all the way down to about mid-cheek, pulling my socks up to my knees (looks great with shorts!) and then dropping a couple hits of acid a la Dock Ellis.

I was 1 for 3 at the plate...2 run double, feeble groundout, long flyout. Had some good plays at first base when I came into the field in the third to replace the 400-lb lug who was playing there to start the game and recorded one out in about 8 chances.