Monday, January 09, 2006

Yes Virginia, There Really Is a Drive-Through Liquor Store

About 9 years ago, my buddy Fat Jim and I were tooling around Arizona looking for trouble. We were both newly minted 21 year olds, and the concept of buying booze without going through the heart-pounding of using a fake ID was just a distant memory. Fat Jim claimed that somwhere in the vast wasteland that is Prescott, Arizona there was a drive through liquor store.

How cool and novel a concept was that? Drive up, order, pull around to the next window and get your brewskis. Efficiency!

Alas, Fat Jim and I drove around for an hour or so and couldn't find the place. I was disappointed, but no big loss.

So then this past weekend we're up in Whitewater, Wisconsin with some friends skiing. Well, if you can call sliding across slushy yellow rutted ice skiing, then that's what we were doing. As we were leaving, our friend Dan casually mentioned that we should hit the Booze N'Go on the way back to the house to pick up some beer for our football-watching marathon.

Sure enough, the Booze N'Go is a fully operational drive-through liquor store located right on one of the main drags in Elkhorn. I was a little disappointed that you didn't get to order through a clown's nose from a vast menu of Wisconsin's finest cheap swill offerings and instead just pulled up to a window where a kinda surly older guy took your order and then ran in the back to grab what you needed...but hey, I can now cross "get beer from drive through" of my list of stuf to do before I die.