Monday, July 19, 2004

It's Monday...
 
...and I'm home sick. Only the 2nd sick day of my 2 year career at Townsend Analytics. I was feeling pretty off most of the day yesterday--just kind of achey and feverish. I initially thought that it was from being in the sun all day Saturday, but come on, I'm anything but fragile.
 
So we went to Arlington yesterday, and in spite of feeling like crap, I still managed to have a good time. Whatever this mystery ailment is that I'm battling must have infected the gambling portion of my brain, because I couldn't pick a pony to save my life. I play really conservative--I usually just pick a horse I like the odds/money flow on and bet it $2 across the board. I'll place maybe one or two exacta or trifecta boxes over the course of the afternoon...hardly high stakes. Yesterday I had one horse show in 8 races and that was it. Russell won two and Kris won one...so guess who paid for pizza last night?
 
Russell and I also bet a bunch of the races at Calder in Florida. Their post times were all about 1/2way in between the Arlington races, so it killed time rather well. We watched the Sox game on the TV in our box, and left with them having a nice lead. But alas, yet another miserable finish in Oakland.
 
I'm psyched about getting Crazy Carl back. He was a great addition last year down the stretch and should give us much needed left handed (BONUS!) pop especially in the absence of Frank. Even when he's not hitting that well (yeah, kinda like this year) he's a really tough out who wears pitchers down, especially late in games. I'm not crying about losing Jon Rauch at all. He was a bust before and after his surgery...I could care less about all his accolades in the minors. If you can't win in the majors, the accolades don't mean shit.
 
If you wonder why he's referred to as Crazy Carl, just read this.
 
I like the matchup tonight against Joaquin Benoit. Every time I've seen this guy pitch against us, we've just lit him up. No time like now to get the offense hot again.