Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Ridin' The Storm Out...

It always amazes me about how when a hurricane hits someplace (usually in the South, usually in an area populated by Gomers and gun nuts), so many people decide to play tough guy and ride it out. This quote from a St. Pete Times article is just classic, and emblematic of how tough/nuts these people are.

Down the road in the park sat Vietnam veteran Gary Snyder, drinking Miller High Life. Snyder, who was among only a handful in Harborview who rode out the storm, said residents were anxious about looters, but he was prepared.
"If I see 'em, I'll shoot 'em," he said. "They're gone. I'll tell 'em I had a flashback."


Bonus points to this tough old bird for drinking one of my favorite cheap beers. It's the only stuff I'll drink while bowling.

Oh..forgot to mention earlier this week- Called Dad Saturday to see how they handled the storm. Actual conversation is below:

GMW: Hey dude.
MGW: Hi Dad. Guess you're still alive. You outside?
GMW: Yep, still here.
MGW: You cleaning up?
GMW: No, I'm lining up a 6 foot putt. Call me later.
(click)

"City That Works" Update:

So this afternoon (I'm off today) I hopped on the bike and rode from "the aerie" down to the ballpark and back. Most of the side streets that one takes to get to Bridgeport are service roads for the warehouses that so permeate the near south side of Chicago. Turns out these service roads also are great for shirking work, as here's some of the sights I saw:

People's Energy truck under the Stevenson viaduct with the driver and his partner both taking a snooze.

Streets and San all purpose big blue truck (they're used for everything from snowplows to dump trucks) in a gravel pit off 18th with a dozing driver.

Sun Times delivery truck just south of Canal and Roosevelt with (I am not kidding about this) a card table set up in the back and 4 guys in there playing cards with the back gate wide open, cranking D12.

I think I'm in the wrong racket.