Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Decisions, Decisions...

There's 3 questions that I dread being asked more than anything else:

1) "When are you going to get married?"

2) "Is it OK if we have spaghetti for dinner?"

3) "What are you doing for New Year's?"

Today is December 22nd, which leaves me just 9 days to figure out what the hell we're going to do to ring in 2005. Next to the day after the end of the World Series, it might be my least favorite day of the year. I don't want to go to the bars...I did that for 4 years, and every year it's the same thing...greased up suburban guys chasing city chicks. Even at the local watering hole that I worked at in 1997 and 1998, the place was overrun with Abercrombie-and-Drakkar-coated meatheads every 12/31.

For the Millenium (yes, I know it wasn't the "real" millenium by scientific definition), I went to Amsterdam and partied my balls off for 5 straight days. Absolute insanity. Since then, it's been all downhill...see the following list of things I've done, all of which register pretty high on the lame-o-meter:

2000-2001: Went to a really bad party in Michigan. The girl I was dating at the time was a senior at U of Go Blue, and one of her friends had a party. Nothing like trying to explain how not all traders get rich their first year out of college to a bunch of 22 year olds.

2001-2002: Went and saw Barenaked Ladies at the Allstate Arena and spent the night at the Sofitel. NOT MY IDEA. I repeat: NOT MY IDEA. I liked BNL back in the "Born On A Pirate Ship" days...hell, they even played a fraternity party of ours in 1994, but talk about jumping the shark...

2002-2003: Went to dinner at a really good Italian place in Bucktown with K's cousin Devin and his buddy Ryan. Ryan played HS ball with Paul Konerko. That's about all I remember, 'twas so boring.

2003-2004: Went party hopping with Rob and Holly. First party was bad, chock full of starving disaffected hipsters. Conversations were limited to the following topics:

1) Bush sucks.
2) The White Stripes rule.

We were in a cab on the way to the second party when the ball dropped. Doh!

So who knows what'll happen this year. We have tickets to see Spam-A-Lot on New Year's Day, so hopefully I'll get rid of the shakes by nightfall.