Thursday, January 13, 2005

Not Quite Meet The Fockers, But...

So it's pretty much set that on March 19th, K's parents and my Dad and stepmom are going to meet for the first time after over 3 years of us dating. Note: DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THIS. NO RINGS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT.

Her parents are spending like 8 weeks in Florida about 40 miles from where Dad lives, so I guess it makes sense that we all hook up at Dad's manse for a BBQ while we're down there on our annual Spring Training trip. I'm just nervous because they're so, um, well, different. Well, just my stepmom. My Dad's a pretty normal dude with one hell of a golf game. He used to be Mr. Brooks Brothers poster boy when I was growing up, but the stepmom's changed that, and now he dresses like Tony Soprano.

My stepmom is a great cook, and one of the most loving people you'll ever meet. But she also chain smokes, and is very touchy-feely. Quite a contrast from K's stiff upper lip Iowan/Minnesotan/Episcopalian parents. Stepmom has already offered to let them stay over at the house for the night (they have plenty of room) and I'm curious as to how they react.

We'll see...

MLB adopted a slightly tougher steroid policy. Now instead of a slap on the wrist, violators get a slap on the wrist with a ruler! I'm curious to see what ol'Scammin' Sammy looks like when he shows up at Spring Training this year, a week late for certain.