Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Now That That's Over...

V-Day came and went without a hitch yesterday. Neither K nor I are big Valentine's Day people, but I was feeling too lazy to cook, so out we went.

This was the first time I'd gone out for Valentine's Day since 1998, when I went to Bistrot Zinc with Pauline, the nasty little Filipina chick I dated for a bit who it turns out was sleeping with 4 other guys in addition to me. She would actually go out in the middle of the night, shag other guys and then come back to my house and sleep in my bed. Ewww.

Dinner was at Kan Zaman, a nice Lebanese joint on Wells just north of the Mart. I'm kinda bummed that just as we were leaving, they busted out the hookah. It's BYOB, so we had a good Frei Brothers pinot noir with din-din. K had never had pinot noir before (she wasn't a wine person at all until she met me), and made a semi-big scene in the liquor store Friday night about how she couldn't wait to try it because of the guys in Sideways and their affinity for it. I wanted to be microscopic...it was almost as embarassing as some of my Stepmom Moments over the past few years.

Went over to The Melting Pot for dessert. I normally eschew chain establishments, but the Pot's afordable fondue and good wine selction make it OK in my book. We ate in the lounge, surrounded by first-date couples making googly eyes over each other. Groan.

One thing I'll never be is mushy.