Monday, March 21, 2005

Back from Florida.

6:55 flights suck ass through a big fat curly straw. I hate going through the rest of the day with that bleary-eyed barely functioning feeling.

Spring Training recap is here.

So let's see..what's notable?

I got to eat at Waffle House. I love Waffle House...and it's not just their waffles that are damned tasty. I also have a weakness for Steak N'Shake. Both of the aforementioned are awfully scarce in the Chicago area. Thank you for sharing, Ilk.

The Pirates-Braves game on Thursday was rained out, so we went to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. It's all located on the estate of John Ringling of Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus fame...and has an art museum, circus museum and mansion all wrapped up in one shiny terra cotta package. The art museum was featuring Ansel Adams works from George Eastman's collection. I appreciated it a lot more at 29 then I ever did on those boring field trips I took to the Eastman House in elementary school. Interesting to see some portraits Adams took...I always just thought of him as a nature photographer.

I know I'm not alone in saying that the West Virgina-Wake Forest game was one for the ages...but damn, was it fun to watch. My old man, K's dad and I were all sitting on the couch just going bonkers like frat rats. I didn't know until know that Mike Gansey was a St. Bonaventure transfer--which is kind of ironic since John Beilein used to coach at Canisius, which has been the Bonnies' rival at just about everything since the 1800s. Meanwhile, my brackets are crumbling...but so are everyone else's.

I'd like to nominate Port Charlotte, Florida as the official capital of Gomer America. Stopped there for gas yesterday afternoon...scary stuff.

Got to get a good look at a lot of the hurricane damage yesterday. About 50% of the trees on 75 between Sarasota and Fort Myers are split clear in two, and there's a couple fields full of FEMA trailers near Punta Gorda.

I've got a few pictures I'll post later.