Thursday, March 03, 2005

Ohhhhhhh Nooooo!

I never thought I'd say this, and I'm sure a lot of my fellow Sox fans are going to want to flay me after they read this, but Ron Santo belongs in the Hall Of Fame.

For years, I dismissed him as just another cog in the big blue Cubbie hype machine. I figured he was mediocre at best, and just kinda grew on fans the way that so many other Cubs do in their time at the brick and ivy Urinal. I thought he was just a sentimental favorite because of his WGN gig and all his health problems over the past few years.

Then I took a look at Ol'Ron's numbers.

20 years old and he cranks out 44 RBI in 90-something games batting at the bottom of the lineup? Not bad. In 14 seasons, he swatted at least 20 dingers in 11 of them. He hit 30+ homers 4 seasons in a row, and was a veritable lock for between 90 and RBIs in a season. Keep in mind this is the pre Bill Melton era, when third basemen weren't expected to be sluggers.

He led the league in appearances twice, especially impressive considering he had diabetes. He also made the All-Star team 9 times...back in the day before it became a popularity contest.

So whaddya say, Cooperstown? Howbout a little love?