Thursday, August 19, 2004

Football In August?

For some reason, the commissioner of my fantasy football league insists on having the draft long before the leaves start turning colors and the grills start getting fired up in stadium parking lots. In fact, what better time to have it than mid-August, when baseball is still #1 in my mind and the rest of the league can take advantage of me being distracted by the American pastime?

So the draft went off last night. I spent about 10 minutes ahead of time prepping, with only the CBS Sportsline draft cheat sheet and a whole lot of notebook paper to help me. Go ahead and rate my squad:

QB: Aaron Brooks, Jake Delhomme
RB: Travis Henry (keeper from last year), Warrick Dunn, Marcel Shipp, Duce Staley
(I found out shortly thereafter that Shipp is out for the season. Waiver wire time!)
WR: Peerless Price, Isaac Bruce, Ashley Lelie, Andre Davis
TE: Itula Mili, Antonio Gates
K: Josh Brown (1st time in like 6 years I don't have Jeff Wilkins)
D: Saints, Rams (gotta shore that up for sure)

That's about it for now. After saturating myself with Olympic coverage all weekend, I really haven't watched much this week. I hope I get to see at least one more night of women getting out of pools.

Here's a nice clip with good simple visuals that shows what a taxmonger Lurch is.