Monday, December 27, 2004

Did you know that the first scheduled passenger flight took off from St. Petersburg airport in 1914?

I didn't either, but sure enough, there's a marker commemorating it right by the baggage claim. We flew in and out of there for Christmas, and I never thought I'd see an airport smaller than Greater Rochester International (which is "international" because it has flights to Toronto), but this place is downright tiny. 14 gates total. No place to get your drink on and watch football on a Sunday afternoon while waiting for your flight.

Christmas was great...even though it was 50 and rainy in Florida, it was a heatwave compared to here. Scored a nice poker set, bunch of clothes, tennis backpack, mini shortwave radio...not a bad haul at all. Furthermore, it was the first time I was with my old man on Christmas since 1998.

This week's star of "Ballplayers Behaving Badly": Sidney Ponson.