Thursday, December 30, 2004

Eve Of The Eve...

It's the penultimate day of 2004! "Penultimate" has always been one of my favorite words, and it turns out I was misusing it for about 26 years. I remember leaving a Cubs-Sox game a few years ago where Carlos Lee jacked a grand slam to win it for the Good Guys, and walking out telling my old pal Bob that it was the "penultimate" Sox game that I have ever been to. He looked right at me and asked me why, and I was like "duh, because of the unbelievable comeback." Bob, in his typical dry and slightly snarky (a word I learned in 2004, thank you Renee) way just shook his head and told me to look the damned word up when I got home before I ever dared use it again.

I thought it meant "greatest." Turns out it means "second to last." 720 Verbal on the SAT my ass.
Why nobody else told me this, I have no idea.

I've been a big fan of Gap khakis ever since the Gap opened up at Marketplace Mall when I was in junior high. For some reason, their material seemed softer and easier to "break in" than anything from Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Beeatch, etc. I usually buy 2 or 3 pairs every after-Christmas to keep my closet full.

But apparently, the Gap has gone the way of Dockers, and decided to make all their khakis "Stress-free"...in other words, resistant to red wine stains and wrinkles from when one passes out on the couch after guzzling too much red wine. The problem with that? Not so soft anymore. Ugh.

Wow, this might be my most mundane entry ever.