Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Sunday

Paul Tagliabue says that Super Bowl Sunday is a national holiday and that baseball is about as exciting as standing in a checkout line. My experiences last summer/fall force me to heartily differ with Tagliabue, but nonetheless today is one of my favorite days of the year. The Italian beef is already in the slow cooker and the beer's chilling on the deck. We get to break in the new TV. It's really too cold to do anything else, so I'm just gonna vegetate all day.

So who do I like?

Part of me says pull for the Steelers. Pittsburgh is a decaying Rust Belt citytrying to remake itself not unlike Buffalo, and Jerome Bettis is just about the only good thing Notre Dame produced. Bill Cowher is one intense mofo, and you never hear about Steelers players running afoul of the law. The man keeps 'em in line. Oh yeah, and the Super Bowl XL version of the Steel Curtain just flat out stops the run.

The other half says pull for Seattle. It's one of my favorite cities even when it rains for 40 days and 40 nights. It's not all lattes and fleeces either--the Emerald City is chock full of very knowledgable and passionate sports fans...my Mom not being one of them. They're a team of no-names who play hard, and Matt Hasselbeck's "we want the ball and we're gonna score" guar-un-tee a few years back will always be on my 10 ballsiest moments in sports list.

The Seahawks old gray and green uniforms flat-out rocked. The Steelers have worn the same togs for years--and their logo is only on one side of their helmet. What's up with that?

Pittsburgh's been to the Super Bowl before, and won a whole bunch of them. Seattle hasn't had a professional sports title since the Supersonics won in 1978.

There's little doubt in my mind Pittsburgh wins the game (and the total score exceeds the over), and in the interest of disclosure I'll say that I bet on them. But emotion trumps the wallet any day...so, um, go Seahawks!