Thursday, September 16, 2004

Not much going on in my world today, so here's a few snippets from the rest of the world:

I had always thought of my hometown as a relatively conservative place. Mostly upper middle class, solid business and manufacturing base, good Protestants (myself not included) everywhere. But in recent years, ol'Ra-cha-cha has started to slide into the abyss of liberalism. As the economy went south, downtown turned first quiet and then into a pretty crappy place to live, and Rochesterians got pissed. Now, it looks like Al Franken and Co get to tap into that rage. For years, the Rochester radio market was just dominated by WHAM 1180 and its 20,000 watts of right-wing radio power, but it looks like that's changing.

In other upstate news, Samara Barend is looking to replace Amory Houghton as the south-and-west-of-Rochester's representative in Congress. Amazing, she's only 26 years old...too bad she's a Democrat who comes straight from the tutelage of the Iron Bitch Hillary herself. The sexist pig side of me wants to add that she's really cute, too.

My guitar teacher came in this morning and asked me if I'd heard the latest death in the world of music. Dumbass me had heard about it that morning, but misidentified the guy as Joey Ramone, thus making me look oh-so-unhip.

Silly me! I always just assumed Sri Lanka had a handball team. Apparently, they don't.

Of course, everyone is up in arms about the new Kitty Kelley book on the Bushes. Laura was a dime bag queen! Dubya liked to toot rails! Ol Prescott was a tippling gadabout! Bush 41 had a mistress and a bit of an ego problem! Slate outlines it all right here. What everyone doesn't realize is that they're no different than any other rich families. I'm sure the Heinzes had all kinds of stuff like this...and of course, we all know for a fact the Kennedys did.