Thursday, September 30, 2004

Advantage: Lurch

I really hate to say it, but Kerry won tonight's debate.

They both started off terrible...Lehrer posed that question about how would you prevent another 9/11 and both of them started spouting on and on about Iraq. But both quickly settled into a grrove, here's what impressed me:

1) Kerry talked about his military service, without overemphasizing it. "I've been on those kinds of missions, etc..."

2) Kerry called out Bush about the giant clusterfuck at Tora Bora where bin Laden slipped through our fingers. I had no idea of what actually occurred that day, that we left it to the Northern Alliance to try and capture him. The "he outsourced that job too" remark was a little over the top though.

3) Kerry sounds like he wants to expand the military, Bush put any fears of a draft reinstatement to bed.

4) I thought Kerry would harp on Bush a bit more about the Patriot Act and am surpised he didn't...he really had a chance early on when asked about prevention. As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of the Act. (damned liberterian leanings kicking in)

5) Kerry laid into Bush about cutbacks in 1st reponders: police, firefighters, Bush did not respond directly to it at all.

6) Bush used the "wrong war at the wrong time" paraphrase of Kerry ad nauseum.

7) Kerry responded very well to Bush's accusations that he was paying no mind to Blair and the UK's efforts in Iraq.

8) Kerry raised good points about Bush not paying enough attention to the needs of the military overseas...getting body armor as a birthday gift. Come on, we can do better, and I hope Bush realizes this.

Were I an undecided voter basing my decision solely on tonight, I would vote for Kerry. But as we all know, that's not the case.